That was me one Saturday afternoon about 3 weeks ago. I noticed a small tickle in my throat and by the next day I was coughing to the point of vomiting. As usual I didn't want to go to the doctors and be given medication, most likely antibiotics, because I know the human body has the capacity to heal itself. Also, I strongly believe that allowing my body to heal itself from illness builds up it's natural immune system.
|natural home remedies|
As soon as I felt that first tickle I got out the usual home remedy supplies: garlic, ginger, honey, peppermint tea, eucalyptus and peppermint oil, lemon; and did as much healing as I could each day.
- A good dose of fresh garlic and ginger in my meals.
- Eucalyptus and peppermint oil in a bowl of hot water, breathing in the steam with a towel over my head - a least once a day.
- Eucalyptus and peppermint oil on a handkerchief that I breathed in regularly.
- Rubbed eucalyptus and peppermint oil on my chest during the day and on the bottom of my feet before bed
- Heat back on my chest almost all day (because cold makes it worse).
- Rug up. Keeping warm keeps the cough at bay.
- Peppermint tea with a teaspoon of honey and a slice of lemon throughout the day (i'm not a fan of sweeteners and yet I went through an entire jar of honey in a matter of weeks).
- Natural cough syrup made with ivy leaf extract - even though over the counter cough syrups are reported to be placebo I still took my syrup three times a day when the cough was at its worst.
- I did take the odd lozenge (3 times) but I have to confess they made the cough SO much worse! After taking a lozenge my cough would be wracking to the point I'd almost wet my pants from coughing uncontrollably.
- Sleep, lots of sleep, especially during the early stages. Sleeping helps the body heal itself.
- Sleep sitting up. Laying down makes the cough worse.
- Very little talking or laughing, both made the cough worse.
Three weeks later the cough is still lingering by way of a small tickle in the throat, yet it has been gradually dying since day one. I can feel my body healing and getting better each day.
Natural cough mixture #1
|cold and flu remedies|
Natural cough mixture #2
Grate a piece of ginger and squeeze out the juice into a small bowl. Mix one teaspoon of ginger juice with one teaspoon of honey. Take that dose three times a day.
Natural cough drops:
3 tablespoons of sugar
3 tablespoons of honey
1 tablespoon of vinegar
1 tablespoon of lemon juice
2 drops of eucalyptus oil
Mix ingredients together and warm over low heat. Pour mixture into a buttered tray, leave to cool, then break into small pieces and store in the refrigerator.