Wednesday 10 October 2012

No Poo Movement follow-up

[hair after washing with bicarb water mix]

After accepting a personal challenge to try the No Poo Movement (shampoo) just to give my readers the run down on the results...

I'm here to report:

I went without using shampoo for 5 weeks and my hair never stopped constantly looking wet, that's how I'd describe it.  Ironically (or is that strangely) my hair did have more volume and was less flat, less pinned to my head the way it normally is.  Breakouts around the hair line became an issue, on my temples, sideburns, below my ears.  [In truth though I did run out of Facial & Body Wash and my precious skin healing Skin Serum - so this could also be a factor.]

When I was due to attend special occasions I washed my hair with a bicarb water mix - 1 cup of warm water with a tablespoon of bicarb soda - and the results were amazing (see above pic).  My hair was shining and voluminous and soft.  My hair stayed this way for 3-4 days after washing [yes I waited that long in between washes since I wanted to thoroughly test all aspects of this challenge] before gradually going back to the 'wet' look.  The only issue: my hair was also very static the next day and thereafter making brushing interesting.  It was like touching one of those electric static ball thingies.

Now that I'm back to using SLES free shampoo I'm finding my hair is flat and limp again.  My scalp is itchy.  My hair begins to get oily quicker, for e.g: if I wash my hair on Monday night by Tuesday evening my hair is starting to look oily already meaning I have to wash my hair every 2nd day.  The static is taking a while to dissipate and I keep getting these ridiculously knotty knots as the base of my skull which are super fun to try and get out.  Though these are caused not by the shampoo but from wearing collared jackets and scarfs during cold weather.  Now I'm using shampoo again I'm finding the knots worse.

My findings:
  • I don't know if eventually, say after 2 months or more, my hair would stop looking wet without using any shampoo.  I didn't really want to wait that long to find out.
  • Using bicarb soda was quite effective in that my hair stayed clean for a long time and looked shiny and stunning.  The static was an issue though.  Perhaps there are additional substances to be trialed here with varying results.  Will have to work on that...
  • Back to using mainstream shampoo, I've only been doing so for around 1 week and I'm already hating it.  Flat hair... urgh!  Getting oily quickly... don't like!  Itchy scalp... driving me nuts!
Shampoo is NOT a really good product to use on hair.  It can dry out the scalp and it definitely strips hair and scalp of natural healthy oils.

Are you up to the No Poo challenge?  Would you try it yourself and see what results you get?  Have you tried it before?  Feel free to share your comments and remember to tick the reactions boxes so we know you love us.

  

2 comments:

  1. I'd love to try it out!! SAHM with a 6 month old so I think it's the best time to trial & not care how my hair looks. Will have to wait til I can get a "before" shot of my hair tho, just a digital camera battery & I'll be away! Thanks for your update and efforts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would love to hear about your experience when you try it Shelley. Actually you mentioning a 6 month old reminds me that I also did the No Shampoo on my children and they did not have the wet hair look at all. Their hair looked fine and normal. I would say this is due to me not using shampoo on them often and them retaining their natural oils still.

      Delete