Monday 13 June 2016

Why Go Green? Laura Trotta ~ Green Guest Blog

home detox boot campQ1: Tell us a little about your business.

For my entire adult life I’ve been driven to reduce the impact of humans on the environment.

I worked in heavy industry as an environmental engineer for over a decade, managing and monitoring the environmental impact of some of the world’s largest companies. After I became a mother I switched my focus to helping everyday people reduce their environment impact.

My online business journey started in 2009 and coincided with the birth of my first son. After deciding during pregnancy that I didn’t want to combine motherhood with my established environmental career in the corporate world, I created Sustainababy, an online eco-parenting store which specialized in providing greener alternatives for conventional baby products.

Despite Sustainababy making a much-needed impact in the eco-parenting space, I yearned to make a bigger impact on a broader eco-living scale.

home detox boot campMy customers were keen to learn more about the “how” to live more sustainably, so in 2013 I started to package up my experience and knowledge into several eco-living e-courses, namely the HomeDetox Boot Camp and greenHOUSE Home Energy Blitz.

These programs have been really well received and I’m

Juggling a business and a young family is always challenging. Juggling two businesses and a young family is even more so! By mid 2015 I’d made the difficult decision to sell Sustainababy so I could just focus on the broader topic of eco-living.

I launched my eco-living blog (http://lauratrotta.com/blog) and my Eco Chat Podcast (https://itunes.apple.com/au/podcast/eco-chat-laura-trotta-podcast/id1052760251) and am really proud to be inspiring and educating others to create a healthier and more sustainable home. I’m also really enjoying guiding others to create and grow a conscious business through my coaching services.

Q2: When did you decide you wanted to go green?
eco chat
I’ve felt that I was born with a green heart. I was a kid that loved being in the outdoors and I was intrigued by the natural world.

As a brownie guide I completed my naturalist badge and met the assessor, a most amazing woman who was a naturalist. Her passion was infectious and from the age of around 10 I knew I wanted to combine my love of science and mathematics with helping the environment.
Q3: What prompted you to make the move to go green?

N/A

Q4: What difficulties have you found with going green?

The main difficultly has been unwelcome remarks from family or friends. I still remember my father calling me a ‘greenie’ (in a not very nice tone) when I confronted him about his littering in my early teens. While such remarks haven’t been pleasant at times, they’ve made me more determined in my work to make a difference.

I started my environmental engineering degree in the mid 1990’s and the environment wasn’t as big a focus as it is now. Nowadays people are more aware and subsequently I there’s more and more support and encouragement out there for people to go green

Q5: Is there one area you’re still yet to go green?

I’d love our home to be fully self-sufficient when it comes to power. We’re currently in the process of building our dream self-sufficient home in the suburbs of Adelaide and I’m literally frothing at the mouth with excitement that it will have full solar and be made of sustainable materials.

Q6: Can you list some of the benefits / positive effects going green has had on your life?

There are so many benefits!

Laura TrottaMy family and I enjoy above average health and the financial savings from living greener has enabled us to easily afford an organic diet and activities like dance lessons for our children. I love the simplicity of sustainable living and the fact we’re not obsessed with collecting stuff and having a home full of clutter!

Q7: What suggestions would you make to those wanting to go green but not knowing where to start?

Don’t worry about what everyone else is doing. Your journey is exactly that and you’re where you need to be right now. Start small and keep making more changes as each change becomes habit. Every step you take to become greener is making a difference!

Q8: Any other advice / comments regarding going green you’d like to share?

N/A

Laura Trotta

  

No comments:

Post a Comment