Monday 12 January 2015

Lemon Cordial Recipe

Aside from my passion for natural skin care with out the chemicals / nasties, and my passion for cleaning products that don't harm my family or the environment, I also enjoy making foods from scratch.

There is something wonderful that comes from the creation of food and even better when I know what's in it, no preservatives and additives, because I made it myself.

Children love cordial yet standard cordials are so choc full of preservatives and additives I don't dare give it to my children for fear of what I'm putting in to their precious bodies.

JOLI - lemon cordial in empty wine bottles
So I make my own lemon cordial for us to enjoy. It is super delicious!!

You need:
3 letres of boiling warter
30g tartaric acid
30g citric acid
30g epsom salts
1 1/2kg caster sugar
12 lemons

Zest and juice the lemons.  In a large saucepan combine water, lemon juice, lemon zest, acids, epsom salts and sugar.  Stir over medium heat until sugar is fully dissolved.  Strain into sterilised glass bottles while hot.  [I use empty wine bottles - though be careful not to mistake them for actual bottles of wine.]  When cool store in refrigerator until ready to use.  You can also freeze the bottles.  To serve mix a splash of cordial with ice-water.  Perfect for hot Australian days.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment