|Nivea not so pure and natural|
Can you read all that? It's hard to know what's in the product with all those technical names and there are a number of ingredients in there that I personally choose to AVOID.
So let's investigate.
- isopropyl palmitate = it's a type of stearic palmitic acid with alcohol
- glyceryl stearate citrate = is a citric acid
- octyldodecanol = a long chain fatty alcohol
- argania spinosa kernel oil = argan oil
- sodium carbomer = sodium salt of carbomer
- methylisothiazolinone = preservative [hazard rating 5 out of 10 - irritation]
- phenoxyethanol = prservative
- linalool = is a terpene (a large group of volatile unsaturated hydrocarbons found in the essential oils of plants, especially conifers and citrus trees) [hazard rating 6 out of 10 - irritation]
- limonene = limonene is a scent ingredient and solvent naturally occurring in the rind of citrus fruit
- citronellol = a natural occurring scent derived from plants
- benzyl alcohol = a naturally occurring and synthetic ingredient used as solvent and preservative; has been associated with contact allergy.
- butylphenyl methylpropional (also called lilial) = is a synthetic scent ingredient; associated with allergies and contact dermatitis [hazard rating 7 out of 10]
- alpha-isomethyl ionone = a group of naturally occurring and synthetically produced scent chemicals
- geraniol = a naturally occurring scent oil found in plants [hazard rating 7 out of 10]
- parfum = fragrance [high hazard rating]
As to whether Nivea test on animals, for all appearances they do not, however, they do state: "we cannot guarantee that ingredients we purchase have not been tested for or by someone else."
Regarding selling their products in China they state: "The answer to this problem is to convince the Chinese authorities that animal testing for cosmetic products is unnecessary. AND: According to our (website) statement concerning animal testing we do not or make anyone else do animal tests for us and we are the great promoter of alternative test methods wherever possible."
[from Surprisingly Vegan]
Compare the above product to JOLI's
Light Moisturiser face & body lotion:
aqua, almond oil, chamomile,citrus seed extract,cypress,emulsifying wax, natural preservative, pro vitamin B5, rosehip oil, vitamin E.
Can you read that? Yes! It's nice and simple isn't it. This is what I choose for my 'pure & natural' moisturiser. Do you?